These Lentil Vegan Sloppy Joes are a new recipe we recently tried. While the texture is a bit different, the flavor is perfect! It’s different learning to eat more vegan meals, and of course, there are challenges. The Wee Child loves sloppy joes, so I knew I wanted to create something he would like that would still be vegan. This recipe is actually a great substitute that while not the same texture, is close enough that he enjoyed!
Lentil Vegan Sloppy Joes
This post contains affiliate links. I earn a small commission from purchases made through these links.
Creating a healthy meal can be hard. Sloppy joes are something I grew up eating with canned sauce and ground beef. Healthier versions are way better than what I remember from my childhood. This recipe gives me a chance to stay with my vegan preferences, and enjoy a great meal with my entire family.
I use a whole wheat bun that is only 2 SmartPoints per bun. I prefer the Aunt Millie’s brand or Sara Lee brand that I have found here in Michigan at local Meijer stores. If that isn’t available to you, check out this great list of FreeStyle Bread options at Meal Planning Mommies for ideas of others available at stores near you. If you are not vegan, you can use any Worcestershire sauce for this recipe and it will not change the point values.
Note: I let the mixture set up before taking pictures, and didn’t realize I had left the heat in the pan a bit longer. The mixture cooked down more, so my images do not show as much sauce as I would prefer. The directions below are for about 10 minutes less cook time which still provides perfectly cooked lentils and more sauce.
Ingredients for Vegan Sloppy Joes
1 cup dry green lentils
2 cups water
1/2 yellow onion, diced very fine
1 green bell pepper, diced very fine
1/2 cup carrots, shredded
2 cups no-sugar-added tomato sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons Vegan Worcestershire Sauce (I prefer Annie’s Vegan options but you can substitute any preferred brand)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
4 Light Hamburger Buns (2 SP each)
Directions for Vegan Sloppy Joes
In a large saucepan, add all ingredients and stir until mixed well.
Bring to a boil, stir, then cover and reduce to a simmer.
Simmer for 20-25 minutes stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
Lentils will be tender but still, have some texture.
Serve 1/2 cup mixture on each bun.
- 1 cup dry green lentils
- 2 cups water
- ½ yellow onion, diced fine
- 1 green bell pepper, diced fine
- ½ cup carrots, shredded
- 2 cups no-sugar-added tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Vegan Worcestershire Sauce (I prefer Annie's Vegan options but you can substitute any preferred brand)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 4 Light Hamburger Buns (2 SP each
- In a large saucepan, add all ingredients and stir until mixed well.
- Bring to a boil, stir, then cover and reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer for 20-25 minutes stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Lentils will be tender but still, have some texture.
- Serve ½ cup mixture on each bun.
Makes 4 servings
3 SmartPoints per serving on FreeStyle Plan, Flex Plan, or Your Way Plan (includes bun)
9 SmartPoints per serving on Beyond the Scale (includes bun)
9 PointsPlus per serving
You can alternately cook the lentils in the water only and then cook sauce separately and blend so all of the vegetable bits are pureed. It totally depends on your preference. Everyone has to find meals that satisfy their needs and also fit into a diet plan. Being plant-based and being on Weight Watchers can be pretty hard at times. This recipe makes it easier to manage. I know the whole family will eat these, and I can serve a nice side dish along with the vegan sloppy joes to satiate my family.
If you are looking for more great recipes, don’t forget to join our Weight Watchers Support Group on Facebook!
More Vegan Weight Watchers Recipes:
- Weight Watchers Vegan FreeStyle Meal Plan
- Vegan Black Bean Brownies
- Vegan Best Stuffing Recipe
- Vegan Zero Point Crockpot Bean Soup Recipe
- Vegan Fried Rice Stuffed Homemade Egg Rolls
- Vegan Stuffed Sausage with Wild Rice and Sausage
- Simple Vegan Potato Soup Recipe
- Chocolate Coconut Vegan Pecan Pie
- Vegan Vegetable Soup Recipe
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cobbler