This Classic Chicken Piccata Recipe is exactly what you expect with perfectly cooked chicken breasts in a light butter sauce with the brightness of capers for balance. With such a perfect flavor profile, this is an ideal protein for your menu plan that pairs well with most starches and roasted vegetables.
Classic Chicken Piccata Recipe
Most people like chicken, and aside from fish, it is one of the best lean proteins you can eat. However, I don’t know about you, but I get tired of the mundane chicken recipes often on the menu with WW FreeStyle. You can only eat so much of something before you get a little tired of it. That’s why this simple recipe is now a favorite in our meal plan.
How to Serve this Meal
In classic preparation, you would see this with a serving of pasta. While that is still possible when you are following a healthier diet plan, many try to avoid the added starch or carbohydrates. As a result, you may be wondering how to serve this protein with complimentary sides.
- Roasted vegetables like our roasted broccoli recipe
- Spiralized zucchini or squash
- Cauliflower rice or broccoli rice
- A single 1/2 cup serving of brown rice for 3 SmartPoints
- Carba Nada pasta as a lower point alternative
If you aren’t watching your calories or carbohydrates, you might like this recipe for Parmesan Penne as a side.
How to Cook Chicken Piccata
For full directions and measurements, scroll to the bottom of the page for the printable recipe.
This Chicken Piccata makes my mouth water as I tell you all about it. Because the recipe only uses a small amount of oil and butter compared other classic recipes, without sacrificing the flavor, you get not only a healthy option for dinner, but a mouthwatering one. I like to prep ahead of time to make cooking easier. By doing that, I save time and mess in the kitchen.
Here are some tips to make your Chicken Piccata even better:
- Use a meat mallet or small skillet to pound the chicken into even thickness.
- Measure all ingredients before you start the cooking process so no mistakes are made
- Add a freshly minced garlic clove to the sauce to give the recipe extra flavor.
More Tasty Chicken Dinner Recipes
- 4 thin sliced chicken breasts
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup capers, rinsed
- Pinch of black pepper
- Add 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons oil to a skillet and heat.
- Dip chicken into flour, coating both sides.
- Place into skillet and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2-3 minutes each side until chicken is browned.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add broth, lemon juice, capers and remaining 2 tablespoons butter to pan and heat on medium heat until bubbly, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, continuing to stir, as the mixture begins to thicken.
- Return chicken to pan and heat for an additional 2-3 minutes per side or until chicken is heated through.
- Serve chicken topped with sauce.