I am lucky to have a great local baker as a friend, and she recently made these Disney Inspired Dole Whip Cupcakes. Not only did I get to try some out first hand, but she let me share the recipe here with you since I will be at Disneyland in a few weeks. Make sure to check out all of Amber & Krista's amazing cupcake recipes on their website as well.
Disney Inspired Dole Whip Cupcakes
One thing we love when we visit Disneyland are Dole Whips. Of course, my first Dole Whip experience was actually at the Dole Plantation on Oahu, Hawaii. Ever since I tried one there, I knew I would love them forever. The fact that I love pineapple, cupcakes and Dole Whips meant this was cupcake I knew I wanted to share.
Amber is a great baker and often lets me taste her fun new recipes. This one is super moist, full of flavor and a favorite in our house. It is reminiscent of the frozen treat at Disneyland, but also simply a delicious cupcake recipe that I know you'll love. The cupcake itself uses pineapple extract for flavoring, but I bet it would be great if you added fresh crushed pineapple directly into the batter.
- ½ C unsalted butter, room temp
- 2 egg whites
- 2 eggs
- 2 C flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ baking soda
- ¾ C buttermilk
- 1½ C sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon pineapple extract
- 1 C Butter (room temp)
- 4 + C Powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoon Heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon pineapple extract
- Several small pineapple wedges
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line cupcake pan with paper liners.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda together in a bowl.
- Beat butter on high for 30 seconds.
- Add sugar, vanilla and pineapple extract to the butter until well combined.
- Add egg whites, one at a time, mixing after each.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each.
- Add flour mixture to the wet mixture; alternating with the buttermilk on low speed until it is thoroughly blended.
- Scoop the batter into the lined cupcake holders till ⅔ filled.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove to a wire rack until fully cooled.
- Beat butter until creamed.
- Add powdered sugar, ½ C at a time.
- Cream both until light and creamy.
- If not creaming slowly add a little whipping cream.
- Mix the pineapple extract with the butter and powdered sugar.
- Test to see if the frosting can make and hold a stiff peak.
- Test by pulling out a spoonful of frosting holding it upside down. If it doesn't drop then your frosting is done.
- If not add ½ C powdered sugar.
- Test again to make sure the frosting can make and hold a stiff peak.
- Spoon frosting into a pastry bag with a frosting tip.
- Twist open end to push frosting to the tip.
- Frost cupcakes.
- Place a small pineapple wedge on top of the frosted cupcake.
Now, with Amber's cupcakes the one thing that is simply to die for is the icing. She makes some of the most creamy and delightful rich icings I have ever tasted This recipe is one you will want to make in large batches and eat with a spoon, or perhaps some animal cookies. Seriously, it is one of the best icing recipes you will ever find on the Internet.
These Disney Inspired Dole Whip Cupcakes are really delicious, and a great choice for a Disney inspired birthday party, summer barbecue or just because!
Check out some other yummy desserts!
Another great idea for birthday parties!