I am not much of an egg fan but the men in the house love eggs and are both big breakfast people when I am willing to make breakfast. I am much more a fan of fruit, toast and yogurt or cereal. But, since I like to oblige the man with a healthy and tasty breakfast since he works so hard, this easy Freezer Breakfast 150 Calorie Sausage Egg Scramble has become one of my go-to meals to make him. Not only is it fairly quick and easy to make, but it is great for large batches as well as separating and freezing for him to reheat quickly on his way out the door in the mornings. This is especially helpful for me since he often leaves for work between 5am-6am and I don’t always feel like waking up and cooking a meal that early in the morning.
150 CALORIE SAUSAGE EGG SCRAMBLE
20oz Carton Egg Whites
1 12oz Roll Turkey Sausage (we prefer mild – you could even make your own with ground turkey & seasonings)
1 Teaspoon Minced Garlic
1 Cup Chopped Onions (I often cheat and use prechopped frozen onions when I can get them on sale/cheap)
1Cup Shredded 2% Sharp Cheddar Cheese
2 Teaspoons Cumin
1 Tablespoon Chives
1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
3 Teaspoons Olive Oil Divided
- In large skillet heat 1 teaspoon olive oil, onions and minced garlic.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes on medium high heat or until tender.
- Add sausage to skillet and cook for 7-10 minutes or until sausage cooked through.
- Remove sausage and onion mixture from skillet and set aside.
- Add remaining olive oil to skillet and pour in entire carton of egg whites.
- Mix in seasonings until well blended and cook over medium heat for 10-12 minutes stirring occasionally or until egg is cooked through.
- Add 1/2 shredded cheese and mix well.
- Remove from heat.
- Divide sausage egg scramble into 8 small containers. Approximately 3/4 cup of mixture per container.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Label and date. Freezer for up to 3 months if well wrapped.
- Reheat on high for 1 1/2-2 minutes in microwave.
This is such a simple way to provide a healthy and satisfying breakfast for your family on the go for an entire week. Make batches with your favorite vegetables if you like spinach, tomato, bell peppers, etc. and make some batches with bacon, ham, etc as well. Choose your favorite blends of flavors and adapt for your family to make this 150 calorie sausage egg scramble a favorite for years to come.