White Bean Turkey Chili sounds like a delicious recipe that is perfect for the cooler months. Since I am eating a plant-based diet, my friend Kari from over at Craft Create Cook made this one and shared with us. She said it was delicious and even got a thumbs up from her neighbor.
White Bean Turkey Chili
This post contains affiliate links from Amazon. I earn a small commission on purchases made via these links.
This easy white bean turkey chili recipe is a perfect way to use up leftover turkey around the holidays. It gives a different flavor profile to the leftover meat and also provides you with a healthier meal that is delicious. I love making chili in my Instant Pot, but this recipe is a stovetop variety that works great in a nice cast iron dutch oven.
Ingredients for White Bean Turkey Chili:
2 cups shredded cooked turkey
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 green pepper, diced
1/2 cup diced celery
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 cups chicken broth
3 cans (15-16 oz) white beans / great northern beans
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
shredded Parmesan cheese, sour cream, and cilantro for serving if desired
Directions for White Bean Turkey Chili:
Add chicken broth, beans, and turkey and mix well. Stir in seasonings. Heat to boiling then reduce heat to simmer and cover for 30-60 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Serve with sour cream, cheese, and cilantro.
- 2 cups shredded cooked turkey
- ½ cup diced onion
- ½ green pepper, diced
- ½ cup diced celery
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 cans (15-16 oz) white beans / great northern beans
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- shredded Parmesan cheese, sour cream, and cilantro for serving if desired
- In a large stock pot or dutch oven, add onion, green pepper, celery and olive oil. Cook on medium-high heat until onions are translucent and peppers are tender. Stir in garlic.
- Add chicken broth, beans, and turkey and mix well. Stir in seasonings. Heat to boiling then reduce heat to simmer and cover for 30-60 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Heat to boiling then reduce heat to simmer and cover for 30-60 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with sour cream, cheese, and cilantro.
Makes 8 Servings (approximately 1 cup each)
1 SmartPoint per serving on FreeStyle Plan or FlexPlan
6 SmartPoints per serving on Beyond the Scale
Instant Pot Directions:
If you prefer using your Instant Pot, this recipe would work great for a faster meal.
- Using the saute feature, cook onion, green pepper, celery and olive oil until translucent.
- Add in all ingredients, and set cover to seal.
- Cook on soup setting for 20 minutes. NPR for 5 minutes.
Alternately, you can add all ingredients to a freezer bag, label and date, then remove from the freezer to thaw the night before you wish to cook. Cook on low heat for 4 hours in your Crockpot.
Make this white bean turkey chili recipe for a healthier choice on those fall and winter nights when you feel the need for a warm cup of soup. If you prefer to make large batches of soup and freeze for meals later down the road, you can easily do that with this recipe. You can choose to cook it, cool, and portion into containers with the date and name of the recipe. This is going to be a great recipe you’ll love!
More Weight Watchers Soups: