One of our all-time favorite things to have for dinner is a taco salad. This Vegetarian Taco Salad Recipe is so easy and ready in just a few minutes! It uses some meat substitutes, but you can easily use beans or ground turkey or chicken breasts for the same point value if on Weight Watchers.
Vegetarian Taco Salad Recipe
This recipe has been adapted over the years to fit our needs. It started out years ago as a recipe my Beau made with tons of corn chips and ground beef. Then it turned to just tortilla chips, and now it is using meat substitute for the same texture but no meat to fit into my mostly plant-based diet.
I personally use Gardein brand meatless crumbles. I’ve tried other brands, but this has the best texture, flavor, and price for my family. I can use this in recipes and everyone will eat it without complaint. In fact, the Wee Child prefers these over ground meats. So, for me, that is a huge bonus. You can use whatever you prefer. Their products are usually found in the freezer section of most grocery stores near the healthy options or meat substitutes.
Ingredients for Vegetarian Taco Salad Recipe:
2 cups Gardein Meatless Crumbless
1 bell pepper, diced
1/2 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup salsa
2 teaspoons olive oil
4 cups shredded lettuce
2 tomatoes, diced
1 bunch Cilantro, chopped
1/2 cup black olives
25 baked tortilla chips
Optional: 1 cup 2% cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions for Vegetarian Taco Salad Recipe:
Heat over medium heat for 5-6 minutes or until vegetables are becoming tender and crumbles are heated through.
In a large bowl, crumble tortilla chips into small pieces.
Pour meat crumble mixture into the bowl along with the lettuce, tomato, cilantro, and olives.
Stir well so that all ingredients are mixed and combined.
Add in cheese if desired.
- 2 cups
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 bunch Cilantro, chopped
- ½ cup black olives
- 25 baked tortilla chips
- Optional: 1 cup 2% cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a large skillet or large wok, heat olive oil, bell pepper, onion, garlic, salsa, and meatless crumbles.
- Heat over medium heat for 5-6 minutes or until vegetables are becoming tender and crumbles are heated through.
- In a large bowl, crumble tortilla chips into small pieces.
- Pour meat crumble mixture into the bowl along with the lettuce, tomato, cilantro, and olives.
- Stir well so that all ingredients are mixed and combined.
- Add in cheese if desired.
Makes 8 servings
Approximately 2 cups per serving
2 SmartPoints on FreeStyle, Flex, Your Way, or Beyond the Scale without cheese
4 SmartPoints on FreeStyle, Flex, Your Way, or Beyond the Scale with cheese
We use baked tortilla chips, but you can use regular or even cheese flavored Dorito’s if you prefer. Just remember that you need to account for any additional points that a different ingredient might include.
More Weight Watchers Recipes:
- Easy Asian Salad Recipe
- Black Bean Salad with Corn and Avocado
- Black Bean Mexican Salad Recipe
- BLT Chopped Salad
- Healthy Chicken Salad Recipe
- Greek Pasta Salad