If you haven’t figured it out by now, let me clue you in to the fact that we love Chinese food. We love the Asian and Indian influences in our meals and gravitate toward those flavors. So when I say take out Chinese is a regular purchase, I wouldn’t be lying. The problem is the high fat and calories, along with all the MSG leave us miserable. These Weight Watchers Baked Veggie Egg Rolls take a little bit of work to make but are well worth it. Not only do they offer the crispy wonton taste I come to expect with take out, but they are full of simple flavors and overall fairly inexpensive to whip up.
Depending on your Weight Watchers points “budget” for the day, they are a great snack or meal in themselves. Pair with some brown rice, steamed veggies and Teriyaki Chicken for a full meal. Just be careful and remember to account for everything because those points add up quickly. At Only 3 Points Each they are a hearty and tasty substitute for your higher fat local take out version.
WEIGHT WATCHERS BAKED VEGGIE EGG ROLLS
12 Egg Roll Wrappers
1/4-1/2 Cup Water
4 Cups Shredded Cabbage (We have used the generic cole slaw mix or hand shredded – your preference)
1/2 Cup Shredded Carrot
1 Can Bean Sprouts (Drained)
1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
2 Teaspoons Ground Ginger
1/4 Cup Lite Soy Sauce or Bragg’s Liquid Amino’s
2 Teaspoons Sesame Oil
- In a large skillet heat 1/4 Cup water along with cabbage. If it seems to be too dry and sticking add extra water as needed.
- Once cabbage begins to cook and become translucent,drain excess liquid and return to heat.
- Add in ginger, garlic, soy and bean sprouts and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes or until flavors are well incorporated and all veggies are cooked through.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Line baking sheet with aluminum foil, or use silicone baking mats.
- Drizzle 1 teaspoon sesame oil onto baking sheet and spread to cover all edges lightly.
- Place wonton wrapper on clean surface and scoop approximately 2 tablespoons veggie filling into center. Fold sides over and roll forming egg roll. Seal ends with pinch or touch of water.
- Place egg rolls on lined baking sheet.
- Drizzle remaining sesame oil on top of egg rolls and spread across tops to help “crisp” as they cook and add flavor.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes. For a darker brown/crisp cook on broil for 3-4 minutes.
These weight watchers baked veggie egg rolls are fast becoming a favorite in our house. Chock full of tasty vegetables and lighter than the traditional deep fried variety, they offer that satisfying crunch and flavor we are always craving. Paired with our Weight Watchers Sesame Chicken, Weight Watchers Sesame Peanut Snow Peas and Easy Hot and Sour Soup you have a feast fit for a king.