If your family is like ours those last minute Chinese Take Out Nights are favorites for memories but hated for the inches added to your waistline. This Weight Watchers Sesame Chicken Recipe is one of our new favorites. As a lower calorie option, it satisfies the cravings without making you feel guilty! This has been updated for the latest Weight Watchers plans and points are listed below the recipe.
Weight Watchers Sesame Chicken
We love making our favorite take-out foods at home to save calories. Sesame chicken is notoriously high in calories and sugar. It is also notoriously delicious. By not deep frying this Weight Watchers Sesame Chicken, we cut a ton of calories and Weight Watchers points. A simple added sauce makes it a delicious choice, that still satisfies your need for flavor without killing your diet.
- 1 Pound Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (cut into 1" pieces)
- 2 Tablespoons Low Sodium Soy Sauce (or Bragg's Liquid Aminos)
- 1½ Tablespoons Sesame Oil
- 1 Clove Minced Garlic
- 2 Teaspoons Ground Ginger, divided
- 1 Tablespoon Water
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar Substitute (we prefer Splenda brand)
- 2 Tablespoons Seasoned Rice Vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons Sesame Seeds
- Salt & Pepper
- Heat sesame oil in a large skillet or large wok
- Lightly season chicken breasts with salt & pepper and 1 teaspoon ginger
- Add chicken pieces to oil and cook for 4-5 minutes on medium-high heat stirring occasionally to brown on all sides.
- Reduce heat to medium and add in soy, garlic, ginger, water, brown sugar twin, and vinegar. Stir until well mixed and chicken is coated
- Continue cooking on medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until sauce is thickened slightly and chicken is cooked through.
- Add the sesame seeds and stir well to coat.
- Serve with a small portion of steamed white or brown rice and a large helping of steamed vegetables.
Makes 6 servings
5 SmartPoints on the Beyond the Scale Plan
2 SmartPoints on the FreeStyle Plan and Flex Plan
This hearty meal doesn’t strip away all oils or flavors but reduces the overall fat content by using sesame oil for cooking and flavor as well as by leaving out the often traditional batter-dipped and fried technique found in restaurants. By browning the chicken in the oil prior to creating sauce you get the customary “crunch” with deep flavor you are looking for without the added calories. Serve this with a low-fat egg drop or hot and sour soup for a complete meal that is lower in fat, calories, and points all while satisfying that craving for your favorite Chinese takeout meal.
Make our Weight Watchers Sesame Chicken recipe as a great substitute for your favorite local take out. It’s an easy meal that satisfies your cravings and keeps you on track with low points!