Summer months always mean time for our Skinny Old Fashioned Potato Salad is on the menu. I grew up eating a similar potato salad that my Granny made, but this one has been lightened up a bit to make it easier on the diet. This is a great option to go alongside your favorite grilled foods at a barbecue event!
Skinny Old Fashioned Potato Salad
This post contains affiliate links. I earn a small commission on purchases made via these links.
This old-fashioned potato salad recipe is a great option for those who like eggs. A few hard-boiled eggs added to a simple but flavorful potato salad adds a hint of protein. This recipe is best when completely chilled, so make it ahead of time so it will be nice and cold to serve to your family and guests.
Our friend Kari, from Craft Create Cook, made this recipe for us a few weeks ago. Make sure to check out our blog for more fun recipes and crafts! She recommends using a stainless steel egg slicer to make sure eggs are all a uniform size. This is such a great tip and tool to make it even easier to make your potato salad!
Ingredients for Old Fashioned Potato Salad:
3 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into ½" pieces
¼ cup onion, diced
½ cup celery, diced
¼ cup light mayonnaise
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
1 teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
3 hard-boiled eggs
Directions for Old Fashioned Potato Salad:
- 2-3 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into ½" pieces
- ¼ cup onion, diced
- ½ cup celery, diced
- ¼ cup light mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 hard-boiled eggs
- Place potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with water, making sure the water is about 1" above the potatoes.
- Heat on medium-high heat and boil until the potatoes are soft and tender. This usually takes between 15-20 minutes. When cooking is complete, drain and rinse with cold water.
- Slice 2 eggs into small pieces and place into a large mixing bowl.
- Add onion, celery, mayonnaise, mustard, salt, pepper, and mix well. Stir in potatoes and mix well.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. When ready to serve, slice the remaining egg into rounds and place on top of the dish before serving.
Makes 6 Servings
½ cup per serving
6 SmartPoints per serving on Beyond the Scale, FreeStyle, Flex, and Your Way Plans
6 PointsPlus per serving
If you are planning a family meal and want a different potato side dish, this is a great option. Making old-fashioned potato salad is a perfect way to really add nostalgia to a meal, and use up simple ingredients you likely already have on hand in your pantry and refrigerator. For a bit more flavor, you can add a dash of garlic powder, paprika, or even a hint of sriracha if you like added spice!
If you are looking for more great recipes, don't forget to join our Weight Watchers Support Group on Facebook!
More Side Dish Recipes:
- Roasted Sweet Potato Side Dish
- Weight Watchers Greek Pasta Salad
- Creamy Pasta Salad with Peas and Ham
- Skinny Pea Salad Recipe
- Best Macaroni Salad
- Instant Pot Baked Beans Recipe
Leave a Reply