Recently, I lost about 25 pounds. End of story! I hit a weight loss plateau and it was frustrating me to no end! My weight loss literally stopped and my heart was broken. What was the point of eating healthy if I wasn’t going to lose weight? I mean, I LOVE FOOD! I have completely changed everything about my eating habits. So, I decided that since I had struggled with this myself, I should share with you about how I get past my weight loss plateau (s). Yes, it’s plural because it happens to me all of the time.
Tips For Getting Past A Weight Loss Plateau
This post contains affiliate links.
- Give it time: I know, I hated hearing those words too. Give it time? It seriously does take your body time to lose weight the healthy way! Sometimes you will stall out for a bit at a certain point and you have to allow your body to adjust a bit before you begin to see those pounds dropping again. Remember that 2-3 pounds per week is the high end of the health weight loss spectrum. Even a loss of ½ pound is a loss.
- Let your body heal: Think about all of the chemicals you have put into your body over the years. When you start treating it right, it does take time to heal. Think of your body healing from the inside out.
- Water is necessary: One of the important things I kept forgetting to do was drink water. Water is so important when you are trying to lose weight, don’t forget to drink lots of it. It flushes the toxins out of your system. It also helps you to not retain water. I know that doesn’t sound like it makes sense, but if your body is dehydrated it will hold onto water and this can keep you from flushing your body like you need to. I love using a water bottle to help me drink more water each day. It also helps to have a good refrigerator water filter that can provide you with all the fresh, purified water you want, and at the push of a button too!
- Drink flavored teas. This is one of those odd additions to the list that really helped me. Instead of soft drinks and juices, I chose various flavored teas. I drank hot tea in the mornings, or iced tea when it was warm outside. You can choose flavors that don't need any extra sugar for sweetening. Click the following article to learn more about teas.
- Add exercise in to the mix: I’m not much of an exerciser, but I did notice that when I move more, I actually start to lose weight. I can’t wait until summer gets here and I can actually get outside and move a lot more. Exercise is vital to your health, and there is no better way to boost your metabolism than to get moving. If you are already exercising, you will want to increase your routine, time, or settings on the treadmill to begin pushing your body a bit harder to burn more calories.
- Switch it up: Another way to get past a weight loss plateau is to switch your diet up. If you have cut carbs, try adding them back in. Your body is a little tricky and it gets comfortable. Do your job and help it out by switching up your diet when you can! Increase fruits and veggies and cut out dairy or carbs. Add a few more healthy calories to give your body extra fuel so it doesn't feel like it is starving. Mixing things up can go a long way toward helping you get past a weight loss plateau.
You May Also Like: Noom VS. Weight Watchers: A Full Comparison Review of these Weight Loss Programs
Losing weight is not easy. I’ve been one of those “turtle” losers that don't lose weight very fast. It’s discouraging and sometimes I want to give up. However, I know that if I stick with it, weight loss will come to me. So, my advice to you is that even if you do hit a weight loss plateau, stick with it. Think about where you will be a year from now and you’ll be so glad you started.
Don't miss our other favorite health & fitness posts:
Leave a Reply