When the weather starts changing and getting cooler, everyone starts asking for fall themed recipes. These Apple Cinnamon Muffins are a result of multiple tests to create a muffin with flavor and lower calories. As I continue on my journey to use Weight Watchers for losing weight, and a plant-based diet for other health and moral reasons, it is harder than ever. This recipe is accidentally vegan and seriously amazing!
Apple Cinnamon Muffins
This post contains affiliate links from Amazon. I may earn a commission on purchases made via these links.
I prefer using from scratch recipes, but they just fell flat every time. Thi sis an upgrade to a cake mix, and that was shockingly naturally vegan. So, for those who are looking for something to fit into a plant-based or vegan diet plan, this will work. I do typically use the Pillsbury Sugar-Free Cake Mixes since they are lower in points. If you use a traditional cake mix, this recipe will be higher in points. If you are looking for a vegan recipe, then always double check the cake mix to make sure it does not contain any dairy or eggs. Most do not.
Apple Cinnamon Muffins Ingredients:
1 Sugar-Free Cake Mix (white or yellow)
1 1/2 cups Granny Smith apples, chopped (approximately 3 small apples in 1/4″ dices)
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 small ripe banana
1 cup water
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Apple Cinnamon Muffins Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Spray with nonstick spray or line full sized muffin tins.
In a large bowl, mash banana and mix well with applesauce.
Mix together dry cake mix and cinnamon in large bowl.
Pour mashed banana and applesauce mixture as well as water over dry mixture and lightly mix, but don’t completely blend.
Add in apples, and mix well.
Pour approximately 1/4 cup mixture into each muffin tin. This should make enough for 18 muffins.
Bake at 375 degrees for 18 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
These will be moist, but should not be liquid in the center.
- 1 Sugar-Free Cake Mix (white or yellow)
- 1½ cups Granny Smith apples, chopped (approximately 3 small apples in ¼" dices)
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 small ripe banana
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray with nonstick spray or line full sized muffin tins.
- In a large bowl, mash banana and mix well with applesauce.
- Mix together dry cake mix and cinnamon in large bowl.
- Pour mashed banana and applesauce mixture as well as water over dry mixture and lightly mix, but don't completely blend.
- Add in apples, and mix well.
- Pour approximately ¼ cup mixture into each muffin tin. This should make enough for 18 muffins.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 18 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
- These will be moist, but should not be liquid in the center.
Makes 18 Muffins (using full sized muffin tin, but not overfilled muffins)
2 PointsPlus per muffin
3 SmartPoints per muffin on Beyond the Scale, FreeStyle, and FlexPlan
The Weight Watchers points values have been calculated using the recipe builder within my own personal Weight Watchers SmartPoints dashboard.
I use traditional muffin tins and spray them with non-stick spray. However, silicone muffin cups or silicone muffin tins may be a better method for some. Choose whatever method you prefer. These muffins are not large, but they are average sized and very filling since they have tons of fiber with the apples chopped inside.
Apple Cinnamon Muffins make a great breakfast alongside some fresh fruit. They are also an excellent flavorful dessert that even my picky 10-year-old loved!