For years, I made a wonderful baked potato soup in the fall, but since going plant-based I wanted a good replacement. This simple Vegan Potato Soup recipe is a wonderful substitute. It is full of flavor, rich, and while not creamy, absolutely delicious. The soup was even a hit with the entire family, which makes staying plant-based easier than ever for me.
Simple Vegan Potato Soup Recipe
This post contains affiliate links from Amazon. I may earn a small commission from purchases made via these links.
Instead of a heavy cream base, this is a great vegetable base that includes just a bit of vegan butter. To thicken it, I used a trick a fellow vegan shared with me. Simple basic instant potato flakes will help thicken the sauce without adding ingredients you don't want. This is such a brilliant idea!
Ingredients Vegan Potato Soup:
2 cups potatoes, cubed
1 carrot, diced
2 leeks, sliced thinly
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cups vegetable broth
2 cups water
2 tablespoons vegan butter
½ cup instant potato flakes
2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
Optional: Dairy-Free cheese, veggie bacon, and diced green onions
Directions for Vegan Potato Soup:
In a 6-quart stock pot, on high heat olive oil, onions, leeks, carrots, and garlic. Cook, stirring regularly, for around 5 minutes or until they begin to tenderize.
Add in vegetable broth, water, milk, potatoes, and stir well. Bring to a boil.
Reduce to medium heat, and mix in potato flakes, butter, and seasonings.
Continue cooking for additional 20-25 minutes stirring occasionally.
Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
Serve with shredded dairy-free cheese, vegan bacon, and diced green onions.
- 2 cups potatoes, cubed
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 leeks, sliced thinly
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups rice milk
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- ½ cup instant potato flakes
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- In a 6-quart stock pot, on high heat olive oil, onions, leeks, carrots, and garlic. Cook, stirring regularly, for around 5 minutes or until they begin to tenderize.
- Add in vegetable broth, water, milk, potatoes, and stir well. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to medium heat, and mix in potato flakes, butter, and seasonings.
- Continue cooking for additional 20-25 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve with shredded dairy-free cheese, vegan bacon, and diced green onions.
Makes 10 servings, approximately 2 cups
5 PointsPlus per serving
3 SmartPoints per serving on Beyond the Scale
3 SmartPoints on FreeStyle or Flex Plans
Tips for making dairy-free meals
Dairy-free and plant-based meals are not as difficult to make as you think. The key to replacing that creamy texture in this soup is to focus on flavors. Using something like potato flakes, or cornstarch to thicken a soup can give you the same texture you are looking for, without the concern of having dairy.
In this vegan potato soup recipe, I used So Delicious Cheddar Shreds and LightLife Bacon. If you are a meat eater, then you can use traditional cheese and bacon for extra flavor. You can also skip these additions completely and still have an amazingly delicious vegan potato soup recipe.
More Soup Recipes:
- 35 Easy Weight Watchers Soup Recipes
- Instant Pot Chicken and Bean Soup
- Chicken Taco Soup Recipe
- Weight Watchers Ground Turkey & Vegetable Soup
- Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls Soup
- Easy Vegetable Beef Noodle Soup
- Weight Watchers Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
- Weight Watchers Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Rustic Roasted Veggie Soup
- Healthy Beef Stew Recipe